Thursday, December 4, 2008

Rediscovery...

So, I discovered/rediscovered a few things today:

First, I really like mittens. I haven't worn mittens or even thought about mittens since I was like, 6, and I think I started to believe that they were extinct and that no one made them any more (except for boxing gloves), but they had two pairs for $1.49 at Target today. I was so excited! I wasn't as excited until I tried them on and realized how incomplete my life had been up to that moment. But even though it was only $1.49, I talked myself out of needing them, because Christmas is just around the corner, and the list of people I forget to put on the list grows bigger everyday. I'm like, "Yes, I think I'm done! Wait... oh no... that person I talk to every day... I haven't gotten them anything yet... how did I not get them anything yet?! How is it possible that they're not on my list?! What was I thinking when I made this list?!!!" So I think I'll save my money and just let my life be incomplete.

Second, I realized how differently I must see the world compared to other people. In my evil boring foods and nutrition class, the conversation went like this:
Teacher: Kids don't play outside anymore
Me: They'd be kidnapped
Teacher: Kids don't ride their bikes anymore
Me: They'd be kidnapped
Teacher: And instead of playing outside together, what do they do?
Me: Drugs!
Teacher: That's right-- video games! They play video games, which don't require a lot of movement.

I was just like, "...oh..."

Third: My headphones broke. Well, just one of them. So now I only have one headphone to listen to, which is still better than nothing, and at least now, I can hear cars if they're coming at me as I'm walking on campus.

Fourth: The doll I've had since I was 2's head fell off. I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. People reading this might think, "Well, it's 22 years old..." Technically, it's 24 years old. It was copyrighted in 1984. And usually things are copyrighted a year before, so it could be 25 years old. But it's not a kind of doll that you would think a head would fall off of. Especially without me noticing. One night it was fine. In the morning, it's head was not with the rest of the body. Creepy and weird... I'll have to sew it back on.

Since that was slightly disturbing, work. I came into my work today to hear 2 or 3 other people talking about me, not realizing I was there. I couldn't make out all of what was said, but from what I gather, apparently I called someone after work, and I couldn't do something, and I took blank note cards and hid them last week. Which makes no sense, because I'm pretty sure that as soon as I'm allowed to leave work, I'm out the door, since it's not something that I particularly like to do, and calling anyone work-related after I'm off would require effort, so that never happened, and I'm scared of their phones and I don't have everyone's phone numbers, so... And everything they give me to do, I do, so what the whole "we had to give it to someone else" thing was about, I'll never know. My work usually goes like this:
Them: So, Charissa, you busy?
Me: Yes, actually-- I'm working on a project for so and so.
Them: Oh, okay. Well, can you drop that project and work on the one I have for you?
Me: Um... sure.
Someone else: Charissa, are you busy?
Me: Yes, actually-- I'm doing two projects for so and so and so and so.
Someone else: Oh, well, can you drop that for like, an hour, so you can wrap these presents?
Me: .... wrap... the presents...
Someone else: Yeah.
Me:... Okay.

And I get it all done, so I don't know what they were talking about. Actually, in their whisperings, they also said, "I'm not sure, but I heard..." Or maybe I heard wrong, which is the more likely scenario, but I hallucinate that people are talking about me, usually it's only once, not three or more times. And as for the whole blank cards thing, last week was Thanksgiving-- the college was closed-- I wasn't allowed to come to work. Don't know how that worked...

Also, I rediscovered that I can't tell distances between objects, and have no sense of direction, even when it's on a piece of paper. For the second part of my oral Japanese final, they gave us a photograph of a family-- like, an actual photograph-- and asked us different things about locations. Photographs are weird, because what was in 3-D is now in 2-D, and I couldn't really tell if so and so was BEHIND a person or more to their left. Actually, I was still thinking, "These are people... this is a real picture" when my teacher was done asking me the first question. I looked up at her and thought, "I wasn't even listening. I was too busy being creeped out about 2-D pictures to listen..." So I guessed at what she said, and that worked pretty well. Then she asked who was behind so and so, and I was like, "um... is that really behind..." And I choked, and called a dog a cat, and then I was like, "That's stupid! I've known inu since I was born..." Not really, but maybe pretty close-- not that I knew a lot of Japanese, but what little my dad has taught me, I pretty much choked on, and kind of hurried through the rest of it. So moral of the story-- I can't tell directions, and I'm a horrible oral test taker. And that's all I really have to say, since it's after midnight, and I really should study for my final.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drugs...Video games... same difference

Celeste said...

Wow...

Firstly, if you need someone to perform Catherine's surgery for you, I'm happy to do it. Maybe it will finally get me to sew that blasted button on my coat back on, too...

Secondly, your work people are stupid, and you can tell them I said that!

Thirdly, how on earth do people ever get through the day without thinking about their children being kidnapped or on drugs or pregnant? I'll never understand.

Lastly, don't sweat the oral exam. We all choke on things now and again, and teachers really do know how much you know, so you didn't look stupid to her, probably just nervous. Whatever grade you get, you're awesome and a little thing like directionality won't hinder anyone's good opinion of you.

Love!