Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Break


Well, I decided that since my sisters were both blogging, perhaps I should start mine off again, too. First of all, the weather has been AMAZING for this time of year. Perhaps because March loves us. I made a deal the last 5 days of February that I wouldn't complain about the snow and cold, but in return, I could complain all I wanted to in March, because although the rest of the world mistakenly believes today is the first day of Spring, I know the actual Spring equinox is March 1st. Of course the last 5 days of February were in the 20's and snowing, but after that, it has been really amazing! Here's a couple of things I that highlighted my week:



Monday- always good to start off then. Monday I had an informational interview with a hospital in Fort Wayne, Indiana (about 2 and a half hours away). At the last moment (literally around 11:00 PM the night before), my mom saw how scared I was to drive my car that far in the pre-dawn hours, so she took the day off and drove me. I have the best mommy in the world:). I told her I had to get over my fear some time, and she said, "Yes, but not in an interview... you don't want something to go wrong before that..." We made it, and I was very surprised how different a Child Life department can be from the one at Riley North, where I'm used to working at. I got home in time to clean most of my house (as in, throw everything into my room), go grocery shopping, and feed the missionaries. When they were leaving, they asked if there was anything they could do for me, and I said, "Well, if you want to take the meat home, that would be good." "Okay!" said one missionary, but the other said, "I don't really want any..." So the first missionary said, "Okay-- we won't take any, then..." "No, really-- I'm not going to eat it, Elders-- I'm a vegetarian." "Are you really?" "Yeah..." "It's okay-- I had like, 20 cookies..." So I was left with $14 of uneaten lunch meat. A few days later, I just ended up throwing it all away, because I'm not sure how long it's able to stay in the refrigerator before it goes bad. I did, however, start to see some of my peppers sprout. Peppers take forever to sprout (as in, 10 days-- I'm impatient), so I was beginning to think they never would turn up again. I planted 72 peppers and 72 tomatoes. I'm hoping to buy a plot at Purdue again and this year actually follow through with my garden!





Tuesday I had another informational interview with Riley Hospital at Methodist. Again, completely different from Riley North, but the people there were friendly. There are about 5 Child Life Specialists there, so I think I like Fort Wayne better. Maybe not better, but at Fort Wayne, there's less people, and I feel like I could do more there. The cons: being away from my friends and family, but it's only for 4 months, and it's only Fort Wayne-- easily drive-able. If I want to be a Child Life Specialist, I have to have an internship, and Lafayette doesn't have any. Indy does, but I really don't want to depend upon my car to take me over an hour away to work every day-- plus gas prices alone, along with the fact that my internship will be in the winter, so if there's a lot of ice on the interstate... Gas would be $12 a day, which would be an extra $240 a month, during a semester I'm not supposed to be working. I don't know, though-- we'll see which one actually accepts me. I might have no choice...


Wednesday-- I don't remember what I did. Really-- no clue. Perhaps that was one of the days-- wait-- yes, it was! A friend and I redboxed Princess and the Frog. In my mind, nothing can compare to Mulan, but at least now I know a little bit more about the Bayou, which we're going to be forced to live in once we can't get jobs and have to live in a tree house. I also told myself that I was going to clean my house, which didn't happen.








Thursday-- I went for a walk in the Battlefield because the weather was so nice. I love going to Battle Ground-- I have lots of good memories there. I then went to the Library for the first time since I returned the books I owed $189 on, and borrowed the exact same ones back. It was actually kind of funny, because as I was being checked out, the lady at the counter suddenly put her hand on the book after scaning and said, "Have you ever read this before?" I was all scared thinking, "Oh crap-- there's something in that computer that says, 'Don't let Charissa borrow this book!!! She'll never return it!!!'" I just said, "No, I haven't READ it, but..." "Oh-- it's REALLY good-- she's one of my favorite authors!" I would believe the library was out to get me... Then at 2:50 I forgot I told my best friend's brother I would take him driving at 3:00. He has his permit, but is too scared to drive with his parents. He drove past my dad's house, on to 52, then to Schuyler, to Delphi, and back to his house. It took about 2 hours of constant driving at scary places. I was really proud of him!




Friday I actually cleanned my room! Well, mostly... I didn't touch my closet, but that's because scary things happen in there. I finished just in time for my sister's birthday party, which was AWESOME! I didn't want to leave, but at 11:20, I thought, "I have to leave by 5:30 to go to Indy to work in the morning..." I didn't actually fall asleep until 1:30, but I had a lot of fun laser tagging!


Saturday, like I said, I went to Indy to work at Passport toward Success for MFRI. There was a whole bunch that went into it that I'm too lazy to write here, but suffice it to say when I got home, I went to sleep at 4:00 PM, woke up at 7:30, and then when 10:10 came around, I thought, "Time to go to bed again!" And then laid in my bed until 12:30, when I finally went to sleep and had a weird dream that my hair fell out because I tried to dye it, and my hair didn't like it. Thank goodness I had a barbie wig, because then next day I was supposed to be at another interview. I woke up thinking, "Wait-- that was a dream?! Thank-goodness! It was a dream, right..." I think we should all get barbie wigs, just incase stuff like that happens

No comments: