Thursday, January 8, 2009

Writing Club, Jan 8

We did the "Pass the Story" thing again, but this time we started with a dream that we had, and let it go from there. I think it's funny, because you can tell who wrote what. And isn't is not spelled issent, Aaro-kun!

Pass-the-story
We couldn’t get out. They wouldn’t let us. We hadn’t seen our families in weeks, perhaps months. We couldn’t keep this up—couldn’t stay here forever. The boredom itself would be…

“Dr. Shultz—paging Dr. Shultz… please come to the third floor lobby…”

I cracked the door open and looked around. Now was my chance. They’d probably catch me, anyway, but a little break wouldn’t hurt anybody. I made sure no one was watching and made my way to the stairs that lead to the roof. That’s where I met the boy—the boy who just sat there and stared. “Hello?” I asked. He said nothing. “Hello” I said again, not thinking he had heard me.

“He can’t hear you,” a dark voice hissed. I turned around and framed in the doorway was the scariest looking girl I had ever seen. She was tall and fiercely beautiful, and she was angry.

“ What? Why can’t he hear me?”

“ The doctors took out his ear drums. He can’t hear anything anymore. It’s like if someone were to take out your vocal chords you couldn’t talk… or if something precious were taken away from you.” She looked back over at the boy, “so he just sits there, and he tries to hear a sound… any sound that could bring him back.” Then he grabbed me. It hurt so much. I felt bad for him, but it hurt. I yanked my arm away and as I looked down at my bruised arm, I heard a loud scream. I looked up at the boy and instead of the defenseless little boy, I saw the face of that petrified, horrid, scary girl. This morbid creation of darkness had something in her mouth. It was some sort of meat… Then, I smelled it. It was the stench of caribou. I looked harder and realized that I was looking in a mirror and that scary caribou eater was me, Charissa Faith Darland. I fell back in shock. What was happening? Maybe Shean was right… maybe I did eat my parents. Audrey, Aaron, Cassie, Morgan…all said he was right, but I thought they were being jerks. They were all right! What can I do now? I can’t go on like this. I don’t know what to do?!?
“Mrs. Darland? Are you okay? Mrs. Darland? Nurse! I need a nurse!!! She’s going into psychiatric arrest! Get me the heptic-sal! STAT!” the doctor was screaming but I could only see the other me in the mirror the “true” me. “Doctor? She has officially entered false-death.” False-death? You mean like the guy in mars? That only happens to the fictional people. Does this mean I’m not real? “Doctor she’s fading!” maybe if I just slip into the darkness it would be better if I went away. “We’re losing her! SOMEONE GET IN HERE NOW!” the light is getting farther away all I see is….

…Green. Green, green skies all over my plane of view. Light green clouds, sea foam green skies. What was this? Had I died? Was this some kind of metaphor for reality-challenged? AM I reality challenged? Or is this reality? Maybe I should just accept myself and then these green skies would BE my reality. I really like green. I was lying in green grass. As I stood up, I could see I was in an odd position. In a valley oasis with a small village of bright blue houses on the mountain side about a day’s journey from where I stood. As I looked around I could see a garden of flowers in all the colors that the rainbow was missing. How had I never seen these colors before??? Had I been blind my entire life? Was this what it had come too? Beside the garden, (as I looked at the garden there were acres and acres of these flowers spreading almost entirely through the oasis) there was a small cottage that was yellow and the flowers were fenced in with a matching yellow fence. I could get used to this, I thought. Then I noticed: the extensive garden of amazing flowers with all its pathways built in were being tended by hundreds of caribou walking upright and speaking my own gibberish language.

I could REALLY feel at home here.

And then I realized, as a soft breeze started, as I walked towards the house, that this WAS my home. It was my reality and by golly, I was glad to be home with enough meat and flowers to go around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really love Morgan's part...