This week we all wrote a story idea on a piece of paper and then drew someone else's idea from a hat. The one I drew was:
“The main character wakes up the ‘day after prom’, except learns that he/she is actually 50 and has forgotten 33 years of his/her life. Amnesia on steroids, if you will.
What do you mean? This isn’t my face. This isn’t my face at all. No it isn’t. Why is this such a hard concept for everyone else to grasp? I know my face—this isn’t it. It isn’t…
I take a closer look in the mirror. Well, it’s kind of my face. It kind of reminds me of my grandmother’s face, except I know it’s not her. It can’t be me—I’m 17! 17-year-olds don’t have that face.
Try to remember what I did last night… last night was prom. Last night I was dancing with Mac. I was actually dancing with Mac! I can’t believe it. He even talked to me. He said, “Hey.” To me! To ME, he said “hey”! Then I said “hey” back, and then he said, “So, I noticed you didn’t bring a date”, and I thought how much easier it would have been if he had just said, “So, I noticed you were a big loser”, because then at least I could have run away and cried about how the guy I’ve had a crush on for over a year finally paid attention to me, and that’s what I am. Instead he says, “So, I noticed you didn’t bring a date”. What am I supposed to say to that?!
“Um, yeah.” I shift feet uncomfortably. What an awkward conversation. He steps up.
“So… you want to dance?”
“I want to dance and marry you and be your girlfriend!” I think. But gratefully I can’t really talk to the guys I like, or I probably would have said that out loud. “I can’t really dance”, I say.
“Oh, I don’t care,” he says, nonchalantly. “Nobody really can.” And then I danced with him. I don’t remember what I said or if he really talked, or if when he did talk I said anything at all, but I danced with him! Totally the start of a whole new chapter in my life. Too bad we’re graduating the week after next, but I hear he’s getting into UCLA, and I can completely be a stalker in California since the weather’s warm.
But wait… that’s right… they’re telling me I’m 50-years-old! I can’t be 50. I still remember what it’s like to be 15! I WAS just 15! This is really my luck.
Wait—if I’m 50—I mean, if I’m REALLY 50… then I don’t have to go back to school, right? I graduated, right? Hopefully. I have this wedding ring on my finger. Wait—a WEDDING RING on my finger?! I got married?!?! Was it Mac?! It can’t be Mac. I mean, we were starting a new level in our relationship, but still—UCLA, and I’m not really a stalker. I’d be a horrible one. That means I fell in love and got married… unless I didn’t fall in love… maybe I just settled. Did I just settle?! How horrible would that have been!
If I got married, then maybe I had kids. I should ask that, but I’m not really sure I want to know. What if I did have kids? What if I only had one kid, and that kid lived to be 20 and then got hit by a train or sucked into a volcano, and it was so traumatic, and THAT’S why I can’t remember anything?! What a horrible life I probably had! What if I never had any kids? That would be pretty bad, too. What if I didn’t even adopt or anything? What if I’m poor? What if I’m a bum! What if I don’t do anything with my life and my husband tried to throw me off a cliff to get rid of me! How would I even know what my husband is like?! What if I didn’t do anything that I thought I would do with my life?! I don’t want to know, if that’s the case!
But I can’t NOT know. I have so many questions. What happened to my favorite television show? Is it on DVD, and if it is, can I watch it? What happened to my friends? Did my brother ever get out of jail?! Wait—I don’t have a brother in jail. That wasn’t me. How random. I wonder why I said that. What if I did something really amazing and now everyone knows who I am? I’m not sure I actually WANT to be famous. But seriously, I don’t get it. Yesterday, I was 17, and now I’m 50. My MOM wasn’t even 50. Am I like her at all? Where is she living now? Has she seen me?
I have so many questions. I hear voices outside the door—they’re getting closer. One of them I don’t recognize. Could it be my husband? Have they told him I’m awake, and now he’s come to see me? The door is opening—I guess I’m about to figure it out.
Women Seamless Yoga Set Fitness
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment