Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Night Before a Holiday

Today I bought most of my stocking stuffers for $42. That's amazing, isn't it?! There's six people in my family that I'm assuming will all be there for Christmas day. Wait... maybe seven... either way, I'll have enough. I love dollar stores! That, of course, is assuming that everyone is in-state, out of prison, and we're allowed to steal my niece for that day. Not likely to happen, is it? But you never know-- stranger things have happened in my family. About dollar stores, again-- I really do like them. I like to shop-- I just lack money. Stupid money! But they're really fun. I saw about 20 million toys I want to get my niece for Christmas. No four-year-old needs that many toys, and I'm sure she has ones that are more entertaining, but I still really want to get them for her! That's the curse of having a child in your life-- you think, every time you pass something that would entertain them, "So, if I don't eat this week, I can so afford to get this for them!!!" I lived with this child for the first three years of her life. When she needed to get out of the house, I would take her to the dollar store and spend about half an hour there either fighting to keep her in the shopping cart, or trying to get her to not break everything that she touched. Then we would buy the dollar teddygrams that they sold and take them home with us. Even though it was a lot of effort-- even though I don't like effort-- it's still a happy memory that I have every time I go there. What sense does that make? It makes me want to kidnap her for a day and take her back. I wonder if she's outgrown it, though.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I'm so excited! After my parents divorced, my sisters, my mom, and I were talking about how much work it was to make the big elaborate meal just for us five. We were remembering the first night in my mom's apartment where we didn't even have a table, but she went out and bought stuff to make tacos, and we used the cardboard boxes that were holding her stuff as a table, and we said we would much rather have that meal again than one where we spend hours on a meal no one really likes. My mom said, "Why don't we just do that? Why don't we have tacos for Thanksgiving?" And ever since then, we have. While it might seem weird to other people, Taco Thanksgivings are the best! People have big dinners for Christmas, too. It always seemed weird that we Americans had this huge dinner for Thankgiving, and then another one not a month later. But since I love food, I guess I shouldn't really complain! I'd probably be anorexic if I didn't love food so much. I know there are people who don't love food, but how is that possible? Food is one of the things that makes life worth living! Okay, so it would be worth living without food. But food is a good perk. It's like, "I had a horrible day today, what can I go do? I can go to the dollar store and some kind of food." Or "I can go eat __________ and think that life isn't all that bad." Whoever invented food was the smartest person in the world! Yes, that was a joke. Kind of... Tomorrow should be interesting, though. The last conversation I had with my little brother, I was accusing him of breaking into my sister's car and... actually breaking it. That was last week. My sister, who was only up to visit us for her daughter's birthday, has since gone back. She won't be there, either. Isn't family awesome, though? That you can accuse eachother of anything-- even though I'm sure he did do it-- and even though he did do it, and even though I did accuse him of it, we can still sit down at the same table and eat food? Thanksgiving was a smart invention, too. I think I've written enough for one night, and even though I'm sitting once again right next to everyone, they still don't know I have a blog, so, as far as day 2 goes, I win! But I probably wouldn't if we weren't watching the Japanese tv show "Oh My Girl". It's a really good one!

No comments: